Re: On Bug 23128 - 'Add an explicit "get access to media" call'

On 09/09/2013 04:02 PM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> Putting my chair hat on,
>
> the discussion regarding adding an explicit "get access to media" call
> seems to be leaning towards that this is something we should not do.
>
> Unless more people speak up saying they want this I will close the bug,
> with a comment saying there was not support to add this, later this week.
>
> Stefan

Just to say a final word here:

I feel that the arguments put forward by Anne, Robert and Martin are wrong.
In trying to prevent a particular class of bad application behaviours,
they are taking away the ability to write good applications that can do
what's right for the user.

I believe that having the asking for permissions be an action that is
triggered explicitly by Javascript can give better user interfaces to
better applications than having the triggering of the same asking for
permission be implicit in a Javascript action whose purpose is something
else can.

We're sacrificing the ability to write great applications in order to
make it harder to write bad ones.

But I accept that my viewpoint, so far, has not found consensus in the
group, and will accept my chair's decision to close the bug as WONTFIX /
Working as intended, if that remains the position of the rest of the group.

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.