Re: Extending createObjectUrl to MediaStream?

On 2013-09-03 15:38, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 09/03/2013 03:20 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>>> Yes. For example there are plans to enable some kind of "private mode" for
>>> WebRTC MediaStreams that protects stream contents from inspection by the
>>> page. I don't know exactly how this is going to work, but if we allow
>>> MediaStreams to span domains it may get more complicated.
>> This scenario sounds very different from the one you outline next.
>>

>>> More concretely,
>>> in Gecko we have experimental code to pipe HTML media element output into
>>> MediaStreams, so we already tag MediaStream data with origin information,
>>> but it's implemented in such a way that getUserMedia from one domain would
>>> be restricted in another domain (the other domain could render it in a media
>>> element, but it would be treated as cross-origin and thus would taint
>>> canvases it's drawn into, for example).
>> It's not clear why if as a page I decide to share the MediaStream
>> object I would not want all of that to be shared as I could share all
>> of that regardless, it'd just require more hoops to jump through.
>>

>>> I think it may make sense to provide cross-origin MediaStream transfer at
>>> some point in the future, but I think we have more important things to work
>>> on first.
>> Again, what I'm trying to understand is why we have origin ties in the
>> first place. So far no objects carry origin information in this
>> regard.
>>

> At the moment, permitting access to devices happens on a per-origin basis.
>
> If we permit mediastreams to cross origin boundaries, granting access to
> a device effectively means that we've granted access to the device and
> everything that piece of javascript shares the mediastream with (whether
> it's by design, by accident, or because it's been attacked).

Yes. But trusting the app that requests access to devices to do no harm
is already in the model. It could record and send wherever, open a
PeerConnection and stream to anyone etc. Trusting it to not transfer a
MediaStream object to an evil app (from another domain) adds very little
attack surface IMO.