Re: gUM constraints webidl implementer feedback

On 10/23/2013 09:46 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 23 October 2013 11:09, Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com> wrote:
>> ‘Mandatory’ is supposed to mean “I have to have this or I don’t want to run
>> my app”.  In the case of adding ‘unknownKey’ as a mandatory constraint, the
>> old UAs don’t support it, so the app shouldn’t run on them.  If what the
>> author wants to say is “I’d like to have unknownKey, but I’ll work around it
>> if it’s not available”, then an optional constraint will work fine.
>> Unknown optional constraints are ignored.
>
> I could choose to read Travis' input as "mandatory constraints == bad".
Yes, and if I read it like that, I just disagree with him, that's OK.
Disagreement is normal.

I could make the opposite argument based on the same set of principles.

I think apps should have the privillege of not running if they don't
want to run under specific circumstances; if we don't give them a clean
way of finding out whether those circumstances apply, they are going to
find unclean ones.