RE: gUM constraints webidl implementer feedback

This approach is not very forward-compatible. What if in the future "unknownKey" gets added to the spec. It is now not possible for a web developer to use that new key in a mandatory constraint because only the latest version of an implementation that supports that new key would allow it, other older UAs would throw the error/exception-this would lead to browser-detection practices which are just not good. By forcing any unknown key to throw an error you are effectively cutting off the ability to extend mandatory constraints in the future. Dictionaries are designed around this principle.

A basic principle of web API design is to be forward-compatible. This is why tag names that aren't defined by HTML are still allowed, why JavaScript APIs can accept extra parameters and do not throw, why CSS rules can take a variety of unknown properties and it doesn't invalidate the rule, etc.

From: Harald Alvestrand [mailto:harald@alvestrand.no]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 9:33 PM
To: Jan-Ivar Bruaroey; Travis Leithead; public-media-capture@w3.org
Subject: Re: gUM constraints webidl implementer feedback

On 10/19/2013 01:38 AM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
So we can't add more mandatory constraints over time?

Define "not to support any random property". Fail or silently succeed?

The behaviour I want is:

getUserMedia(.... mandatory(knownKey='foo', unknownKey='bar') ...)

should call the error callback ("constraints can't be satisfied"), with "unknownKey='bar'" as the constraint that couldn't be satisfied.

getUserMedia(.... optional((knownKey='foo'), (unknownKey='bar')) ...)

should silently succeed.

If that means dictionaries aren't the right object, we'll have to use something else.

.: Jan-Ivar :.