Re: Bug 23934 - Proposal: Always launch permission prompt to avoid leakage

On 27/11/13 18:30, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 27 November 2013 06:40, Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com> wrote:
>> I am opposed to this.  I think that it would complicate app development and
>> make the user experience worse.
>
> I am in favour of this (modulo a persistent grant of permissions).

I'm in favor too. This is about privacy, and I want to be careful.

I don't think it makes app development more complicated.

For the UX part, that would in that case happen only once: the app asks
for a device with certain mandatory constraints the *first* time the
user visits the site. The mandatory constraints can't be met, but the
user is anyway informed.

The next time the user returns, the app can first check if any new
devices are available. If not, don't do gUM, and the user is not annoyed.