Re: How do we enable/select tracks for playout?

On 03/21/2013 02:46 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:
> Stefan,
>    It would certainly be simpler - for implementers - to leave the selection of the video track up to the sink or to let it be random.  This would lead to indeterminacy in applications, and to possible non-portability of apps (in the sense that a given app might work well with Firefox's random choice, but not Chrome's).
>
> One possibility would be to leave it out for now, and add it later if non-portability turns out to be a practical, and not just hypothetical, problem.

Another possibility is to make it deterministic but non-useful; for
instance, we might specify that if the sequence of tracks is needed, one
sorts the tracks on ID (guaranteed to be distinct and well specified,
and all browsers will behave the same for the same IDs, but the result
is random enough that applications will take steps to pick the Right Track).