Re: Media Capture and Streams question - applying constraints

On 2013-06-14 01:19, Frederick.Hirsch@nokia.com wrote:
> The latest editors draft of getUserMedia (Media Capture and Streams)
> [1] says in section 4.3.2 [2]
>
> [[ Constraints are independent of sources. However, if the sourceType
> is "none", the readonly attribute is true, or the remote attribute is
> true, the track's constraints will not be applied to the source. ]]
>
> Is it true that muting is not a constraint, so a source (remote or
> not, read only or not) can always be muted for a given sink?

Muting is something the application does not control, a source can be
muted by the UA, by a button on the microphone etc., but not by the
application.

The application can control if a MediaStreamTrack is enabled or not (via
the enable attribute). And this is something that can be done regardless
of remote or not, readonly or not - you're just controlling if the track
outputs any media or not.

 From the draft:

"Applications are able to enable or disable a MediaStreamTrack to
prevent it from rendering media from the source. A muted track will
however, regardless of the enabled state, render silence and blackness.
A disabled track is logically equivalent to a muted track, from a
consumer point of view."

(The above is my understanding)

> I think the draft needs an example and more explanation regarding the
> characteristics of read-only and remote sources and what the
> limitations are and mean in practice.

Good point.