Re: MediaStream ended vs inactive

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com>wrote:

>  Hmm, I thought we had agreed that MediaStreams can be reactivated.  If
> they can’t, then ‘ended’ is the right name for the attribute, and
> attempting to add a Track to an ended stream should raise an error.  I’m in
> favor of letting them be reactivated – I can’t see any reason not to do it.

I think it's helpful to have a permanent "ended" state. For example, an
application might handle "ended" (or "inactive") the way Youtube does, and
change state to display different UI. It's unexpected and confusing if the
stream can suddenly revive again underneath, and would likely lead to
application bugs.

I propose doing roughly what the MediaStreams Processing proposal did: add
an "auto-end" constructor parameter to MediaStream that defaults to true,
so that the stream permanently ends as soon as there are no non-ended
tracks and there was at least one non-ended track in the past. But authors
can set the parameter to false to indicate that the stream should not
automatically end just because there are no tracks.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq