Re: user permission for recording?

On 01/16/2013 07:54 PM, Ben Pedrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We tackled the recording issue at TokBox about a year ago. We found
> that 11 states require all parties to know and consent to being
> recorded, which is different from consenting to use the camera for a
> live conversation.
does this mean that 39 states (and an unknown number of other countries)
have no such rule, or merely that the rules there are different?

> The safest approach is to have a pop-up that specifically requests
> permissions for recording. I think allowing developers to freely
> record without consent will lead to legal problems for well
> intentioned developers who are unaware of the laws they are dealing
> with. Asking consent for the camera, but not to record, seems to imply
> that recording is acceptable when that may not be the case.
I think this can't be solved at browser level; several of the use cases
on the media-capture requirements doc (which are usually single-user use
cases) would look quite strange if one needed a separate recording
permission popup.