Re: user permission for recording?

Hi all,

We tackled the recording issue at TokBox about a year ago. We found that 11
states require all parties to know and consent to being recorded, which is
different from consenting to use the camera for a live conversation. The
safest approach is to have a pop-up that specifically requests permissions
for recording. I think allowing developers to freely record without consent
will lead to legal problems for well intentioned developers who are unaware
of the laws they are dealing with. Asking consent for the camera, but not
to record, seems to imply that recording is acceptable when that may not be
the case.

With regards to when to ask permission, we found it was better to ask
before a call was started because it was disruptive to pop up a consent
dialog during the flow of conversation. If an application transitions to
start recording at the same time it connects two people in a call, you may
miss the beginning of the conversation while both people are dealing with
the consent dialogs, and it may complicate syncing multiple recordings if
they start at wildly different times. You may also only want to allow
people to use the application if they are willing to be recorded.

Ben