Re: Bug 23934 - Proposal: Always launch permission prompt to avoid leakage

On 06/12/2013 3:00 AM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:
> Gili, isn't Jav-Ivar's proposal in [1] a reasonable compromise here?
>
> A prompt is always shown, and if there are no devices matching the
> mandatory constraints, a generic message informs the user about it. In
> addition to the "Deny" button, that always discards the dialog and
> reports PERMISSION_DENIED to the application, there is a button
> (replacing the "Allow" button) that lets the user report the problem
> to the application (in the form of a CONSTRAINTS_NOT_SATISFIED error).
>
> So if a gUM() dialog unexpectedly appear on a random page, I can press
> "Deny" to not leak anything. But on a page where gUM() is expected, I
> can click the "Report" button and let the application explain the
> problem to me.
>
> /Adam
>
> [1]
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2013Dec/0033.html

What you are proposing is quite different from my understanding of the
original proposal. For one, the user *knows* he is denying access (and
so the error reported to the application is actually valid).
Furthermore, the "Report" button helps with debuggability and usability.

I would support your variation of this proposal.

Gili