Re: Proposal for output device selection

On 15 August 2013 19:15, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> "One application at multiple origins" is not supported by the Web platform.
> Features like persistent storage, application cache and remembered
> permissions don't handle that case. This is not something we should be
> trying to support.

That's only superficially true.  To give a concrete example, Google
Hangouts operates at https://mail.google.com and
https://plus.google.com, but it's the same application in every
meaningful sense (aside from perhaps the strict web origin sense).  I
imagine that Google access the same server-side state to run the
application.  And with postMessage, the client-side state can also be
consolidated.  In that case, the origin is completely insufficient to
identify the app.  And Hangouts isn't the only application on those
origins.