Re: Edit new proposal for device enumeration into draft

On 04/18/2013 06:19 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 18 April 2013 06:44, Stefan HÃ¥kansson LK
> <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
>> I am fine with that, perhaps we should at this stage do a) only (i.e. add
>> the "... structure in place of an identifier, where the structure includes
>> id, label, kind, and facing attributes" to the Editor's draft)?
> Drop label from that list and we're good.  (You can get the label from
> the tracks you have already received.)

The reason why the special language for label is there is because if
people build a menu of choices in JS, and don't follow up the idea of
using previews in the menu, they want human readable text in it.

It's perfectly possible to open up all the devices, get the information,
and close the devices. UIs that grant permission to "use of cameras"
rather than "use of this particular camera" will show no diference,
except for a strange rippling of camera-ready lights (if they exist)
across the cameras.

It just seems like a large amount of hoop-jumping to make the JS
programmer go through.

See my example:

https://code.google.com/p/webrtc/source/browse/trunk/samples/js/demos/html/device-switch.html

The (faked) list of devices becomes readable once permission to a camera
is given.