Re: Error handling - what to change

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:04:46 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> - Change the NavigatorUserMediaError to be a subclass of DOMError. This
>> means just that the “name” attribute is specified in the superclass.
>> “message” is referred to, but not defined in, DOMError, so its status seems
>> unclear. If this is deemed to be present, the only extra attribute is
>> “constraintName”, which is gUM specific.
> It seems everyone wants .message. We can add that to DOM.

I have found that useful in other cases - most useful when it's wearing
a bright warning that the content of such a field should NOT be acted
upon by software, it's a debugging aid only. (IMAP, SMTP)
Sometimes people even write their software accordingly :-)

>> - Change the enum NavigatorUserMediaErrorName to have error names in the
>> style of section 3.4 of the DOM spec: CamelCase with uppercase initial.
>> - Ask the DOM team to add PermissionDenied and ConstraintNotSatisfied to
>> their error list (per their expressed desire). No corresponding code.
> All our names end in Error at the moment. Not sure if we want to break
> that convention.
Sticking with convention makes sense to me. Will add that to the proposal.