Re: MediaStreamTrack Lifecycle and Media Flow

On 2013-04-16 18:40, Martin Thomson wrote:
> I like this.  The text on enabled/muted is clear enough that I believe
> it will avoid confusion altogether.
>
> On 16 April 2013 05:01, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com> wrote:
>> *** MediaStreamTrack Lifecycle and Media Flow ***
>>
>> The MediaStreamTrack interface lets the script control a single flow of
>> media. The live state indicates that the track source is active and the
>> track renders media.
>
> I don't know what "live state" refers to here.  Maybe this is more
> obvious with highlighting on the "live" keyword, but it isn't clear
> from context that you are talking about readyState.
>
> You probably do need to include some more thorough description about
> the actual lifecycle (new/live/ended).  The title mentions it, but the
> above doesn't make it clear that you are talking about lifecycle.  We
> probably need something like:
> --
>
>> The MediaStreamTrack interface lets the script control a single flow of
>> media.
>
> A MediaStreamTrack has three stages in its lifecycle.  A track begins
> as "new" prior to being connected to an active source.
>
> Once connected, the 'started' event fires and the track becomes
> "live".  In the "live" state, the track is active and media is
> available for rendering at a sink (e.g., an HTML <video> or <audio>
> element).
>
> <insert text on muting and rendering>
>
> A track becomes "ended" and the 'ended' event fires when the source of
> a track is disconnected or exhausted.

Looks good to me.

My first idea was to say less about the lifecycle (and change the title)
to not introduce redundant information. But at a closer look it's
obvious that the MediaStreamTrack lifecycle is underspecified; most of
the information is in the non-normative Event Summary section. So let's
have it in this section.

/Adam