Re: addTrack/removeTrack on gUM streams and PeerConnection remote streams

From: Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:28:04 +0200
To: public-media-capture@w3.org
On 4/15/13 11:34 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> I can see why addTrack and removeTrack make sense for MediaStreams
> created via one of the MediaStream constructors.
>
> I don't see why it makes sense to be able to add arbitrary tracks to a
> MediaStream created via getUserMedia or a PeerConnection remote stream.
> That seems confusing and adds implementation complexity. I think it
> would make more sense for a given MediaStream's track set to be managed
> either by the UA or by script, but not both at the same time.

We have removed the special MediaStream "localMediaStream", so all
MediaStream's are now the same.

There are some use-cases which can be handled better if add/removeTrack
is possible, but if complex to implement I would personally be open to
omit that from a first version (especially if we decide that
synchronization context spans all tracks originating from the same
end-point, not only the tracks in one MediaStream). We could add it as a
later extension.

Stefan