Re: VideoStreamTrack: takePhoto()

On 04/08/2013 12:28 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 08/04/2013 10:27 , Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> Fully agreed. Your task is to convince us that the idea has technical
>> merit.
>
> To be fair, in 2013, I would think that the onus of technical proof
> ought to fall on whoever is *rejecting* Futures. Futures are designed
> to be the one true way of handling precisely what Anne is proposing
> them for here, and I am unaware of any opposition to this consensus.

Thanks for the corroboration that there are at least 2 people in the
world who think that.
But still - do we know what we are being asked to buy into?

A little googling ( https://github.com/whatwg/dom/commits) shows that
Anne added futures to the whatwg spec for DOM a whole whooping 11 days ago:
https://github.com/whatwg/dom/commit/1268f9ead6413b21a03f266496c52295a70e38e7

And algorithm changes were going into this spec 3 days ago:
https://github.com/whatwg/dom/commit/6f518ecbb6385f94284d917f4ea08f8089b382e3

This isn't just asking us to adopt ideas that have gathered consensus in
the community.
This is asking us to adopt new sources of instability in the foundations
we're building on.

> We've been discussing this for a while. Now we have a solution. Unless
> there are genuine, technically grounded concerns with Futures the time
> to use them is now.

That's what I heard about UTF-5 in 1992 and UTF-16 in 1994 also.
Java's (and Javascripts' by inheritance) adherence to UTF-16 is a legacy
of people believing that.