Re: meaning of pausing MediaStream, and when to set media.readystate to HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Wei Jia <wjia@google.com> wrote:

> I have 2 questions regarding MediaStream as media elements (
> http://www.w3.org/TR/mediacapture-streams/#mediastreams-as-media-elements
> ):
>
> 1. What's the meaning of pausing media stream? This is related to "The
> timeline does not increment when the MediaStream is paused" . Does
> "paused" means MediaStream not "enabled", or it refers to <video> pause?

In Gecko, pausing a <video> element whose source is a MediaStream forces
the MediaStream to pause.

This question comes from use case when MediaStream is displayed with
> <video>. When the display is resumed from <video> pause, should the
> currentTime jump by a large amount (the paused duration), or continue from
> where it paused?

In Gecko, it continues from where it paused.

2. When to set media.readystate to HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA?
> According to the spec, at loading stage, the user agent needs to
> immediately set the media.readystate to HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA. This will trigger
> loadedmetadata event as well. But at that time, the user agent might not
> have received any information about the videoWidth/videoHeight. Would it be
> good to change the sentence to "setting the media.readystate to
> HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA when appropriate"? This would allow user agent to
> set media.readystate to HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA when it receives the first video
> frame from media stream.

I think we should wait for some data to arrive before entering
HAVE_METADATA or HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA states. In Gecko, we currently fire
loadedmetadata as soon as a MediaStream is connected to the media element,
but delay loadeddata and canplaythrough until we actually have some data in
the stream. I think the latter behavior is good but we should fix
loadedmetadata to fire later, along with the other events.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]