From: Timothy B. Terriberry [mailto:tterriberry@mozilla.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:29 PM
To: public-media-capture@w3.org
Subject: Re: recording proposal

Jim Barnett wrote:
> otherwise.)  On the other hand, unless we specify MTI container
> formats, this approach doesn't provide much interoperability.  If we
> want to avoid another round of the MTI wars,  maybe we could get away
> with saying that the UA must support a container format that can
> merge/synchronize a single video and single audio stream.  This would

MTI was viewed as important for the <video> tag so that websites could
encode files in a single format and serve it to all clients, and for
WebRTC so that two different clients could successfully communicate. The
case is somewhat weaker for recording, since (in the use-cases as I
understand them), the client is producing a stream for uploading to a
server, which will consume it once. I think the most important
requirement is that a browser produce a format that it can, itself, play
back.