Re: approaches to recording

Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Stefan Hakansson LK
> <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com
> <mailto:stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>> wrote:
>
>     - Would not the simplest solution (at least from an API perspective)
>     be to add a reliable mode to MediaStreams when added to PeerConnection?
>

> That sounds like a good idea to me. IIUC G711 is already an MTI codec
> for WebRTC and is lossless. So with G711 and a lossless PeerConnection
> mode, you'd be all set.

The _simplest_ solution would be to mandate the use of a TCP-based TURN
server to terminate the traffic, but basically all RTP stacks are
designed with fixed-size buffers and other resource limits, and when
these are exceeded they will simply discard data. So even this "simple"
solution would require a vast engineering effort to produce "reliably"
transmitted data in a format that almost no non-real-time software could
consume (requiring all services to convert it into something else on
their own).