Lossless modes (Re: approaches to recording)

On 10/12/2012 05:39 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:

> Harald,
>
> The lack of real-time delivery is not normally an issue for speech
> recognition systems, because they run many times faster than real
> time, and can catch up quickly once the data is available.  So if the
> delays are short enough, the user will not perceive them.  And if the
> delays are longer, well... then speech recognition will take a long
> time.  People are used to stuff being slow on the internet, aren't they?

Changing the subject, because this is a very different subject:

The problem with "just" adding "lossless mode" to a MediaStream
attachment to a PeerConnection is that it requires replacing the whole
protocol stack underneath that transport - the idea of
somewhat-unreliable, but always-reasonably-fast, transmission is deeply
embedded into the RTP/UDP protocol suite.

I don't even want to propose that the IETF takes on defining a
corresponding protocol suite at this time. It's MUCH simpler (seen from
my side as running-back-and-forth-between-W3C-and-IETF) to define a
local recording format that doesn't lose any bits, but also has no
fast-delivery expectations.

What does the current contact center and speech industry do when faced
with SIP telephone systems?