Re: Direction: Constraints

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> Given the debates we've had about the constraints/capabilities
> functionality, the
> clear need many see for it, and the proposal that Dan Burnett posted
> to the mailing list on April 23 and the debate that has followed it,
> the Chairs declare that we have a reasonable consensus that moving
> forward with this specification is the right thing to do.
>
> The chairs are therefore asking the editors to incorporate this
> proposal in the current documents.
>
> Of course, suggestions for improvements to this API are always welcome.

Opera cannot integrate this in to our current products since we are not
yet pursuing a trusted environment model for the web on which this
proposal heavily relies. The upshot of this is that we will not be able
to claim conformance to the getUserMedia specification if this is added.
This and the fact that there is a lot of hidden complexity and a lot of
unresolved issues in this proposal is likely to significantly delay
delivery of the core getUserMedia specification in the standards process.

It would be preferable if trusted environment features are pursued in a
separate specifcation for now and the open issues on this proposal, of
which there are many, are pursued orthogonally to the main task of
nailing down the core features of the getUserMedia specification.

- Rich