Re: Proposed resolution for open items

On 05/11/2012 09:50 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:
> On 5/11/2012 2:25 AM, Stefan Hakansson LK wrote:
>> "Direct assignment of MediaStream to Video": There was a lot of
>> discussion. There seem to be a consensus that assignment via
>> "createObjectURL" must be supported (since this is an established
>> model). Due to this, and to that there does not seem to be consensus for
>> direct assignment, the chairs propose that direct assignment should be
>> postponed to later versions
>
> This is unfortunate for different reasons; Robert's concern is that
> (IIRC) that streams for which you've called createObjectURL are
> complicated to properly resource track and can lead to unrecoverable
> resource leaks (createObjectURL() and then never assign it anywhere, for
> example).

(Speaking as contributor) This has been discussed quite a bit in the
WebApps WG (as createObjectURL is used to reference blobs). The solution
adopted as I understand it includes well defined life time handling and
that the URI can be used only once in the default case.

Would the same solutions not work when createObjectURL is used to
reference MediaStreams?

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/

Br,
Stefan