Re: Proposal on how to introduce constraints in getUserMedia()

On 03/22/2012 01:47 PM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le jeudi 22 mars 2012 à 13:15 +0100, Adam Bergkvist a écrit :
>> One way forward could be to have the constraints dictionary as a member
>> of the existing MediaStreamOptions dictionary.
>>
>> void getUserMedia (MediaStreamOptions? options,
>>                      NavigatorUserMediaSuccessCallback? successCb,
>>                      optional NavigatorUserMediaErrorCallback? errorCb);
>>
>> dictionary MediaStreamOptions {
>>       boolean audio;
>>       boolean video;
>>       MediaStreamConstraints? constraints;
>> };
>>
>> This actually has some benefits:
>> - We can add the constraints dictionary member to MediaStreamOptions at
>> any time without breaking existing code.
>
> This sounds good; I guess we need a specific provision that a user agent
> should not return a MediaStream if it is not able to interpret the
> constraints object.

I also think it sounds good. And I think that there is some leeway on
the interpretation of the constraints object; the UA could stop+fail as
soon as constraints are declared if this is not supported, or it could
dig into the constraints one level. If no mandatory constraints are
declared the UA could deliver the stream even if the actual
non-mandatory constraints are not checked (as these are similar to hints).

Stefan