Re: Hints argument & privacy concerns

On 1/19/2012 9:17 AM, Stefan Hakansson LK wrote:
> On 01/19/2012 02:53 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> Option B. Having "front" and "back" is a sufficient ontology for the
>> 80% case. Given that users can *always* choose which device they want
>> to use (i.e. if the request hint is for "front" because that makes
>> sense to a conferencing scenario, I can still pick "back" because I'm
>> setting up conferencing for someone else, or I can still pick "room"
>> if I want to — the app doesn't need to know) it doesn't break the
>> remaining 20%, or in fact make them substantially less usable.

>> I like option B best :) It works for the more common cases, and it
>> doesn't break the less common ones.
>
> I have basically the same view. But what is needed in the less common
> cases is that the browser can show a pre-view to the user of all cameras
> in some kind of selector so that the user can pick the right view (camera).

We've been assuming that the typical implementation of GetUserMedia
would be to show the user all the cameras -- preferably with a preview
of each if possible, though lower resolution and perhaps low frame rate,
or if that's infeasible just a list and a preview pane -- and let them
choose.  (Similar for audio, though with a different mechanism for
preview.)  The hint could control which is the defaulted selection.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org