Re: pausing and resuming

On 2012-12-14 22:32, Stefan Hakansson LK wrote:
> On 12/14/2012 07:43 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:
>> I think we need a somewhat broader discussion on what sorts of objects
>> can be paused and resumed.  In particular, do we need an API surface to
>> pause/mute and resume Streams or Tracks?  Right now, a track can have
>> readyState=muted, but that is a read-only attribute, so it looks like
>> the muting happens on the underlying device (or at the remote end).
>
> That is right, muted is meant to mean that the source is not delivering
> data right now, and it is readonly.
>
> But the app can use the "enabled" attribute, just set it to false, and
> the track becomes effectively muted (zero amplitude audio
> samples/blackness in the uncoded domain).
>
> I've been arguing that we should remove that attribute and instead have
> the opportunity to disable at the sink. The reason for this proposal is
> that the way the media element is currently specced [1]; this control is
> already there ("enabled" for audio, "selected" for video). This can be
> confusing IMO; e.g. if you enable a MediaStreamTrack (kind = audio), but
> it is disabled at the sink, and vice versa.
>
> But what I really wanted to say is: in the case of recording there is a
> big difference between disable/mute and pause. I'm thinking of a tape
> recorded. If you disable/mute the input, the tape continues rolling (but
> silence/blackness is captured). If you pause the tape stops rolling
> until you "resume" recording. I think these are two different concepts,
> and we should support both.

What Stefan writes here is exactly how I would like to see the recording
work.

- Pause on the recorder
    -> Nothing is written to the recorded file until recording is resumed.
- Recorded track gets muted (someone sending you a stream has disabled a
track on their end or, e.g., a camera has been temporarily muted via
some browser UI)
    -> Silence or blackness recorded for that track
- Recorded track gets disabled locally (via API enabled = false;)
    -> Silence or blackness recorded for that track

/Adam