Re: pausing and resuming recording

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com>wrote:

>  It makes sense to add pause and resume functionality to recording.  The
> question is what the exact semantics should be.  First of all, we currently
> say that it a Track is muted, the record function should fill in with
> silence or black frames.  (I think that this would be necessary so that
> playback could be synchronized).  ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Now, if the entire record() operation is paused, I assume that it would
> simply stop gathering data while it is paused.  (So that if you pause and
> resume recording, there will be a sudden skip during the playback.)

I don't think this functionality should be in the recorder. Instead I think
we should be able to pause and resume MediaStreams themselves. Then we can
do things like have a media element which is playing a MediaStream apply
its pause/resume controls directly to the MediaStream.

****

> However, I can imagine cases where someone might want to pause recording a
> specific track, without muting the underlying track (for example, the user
> would still be speaking, but it would be left out of the recording).

I don't understand this scenario. Can you explain it in more detail?

Rob
--
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the
Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority