Re: How to check if permission denied?

On 12/06/2012 08:53 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 6 December 2012 11:31, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> And, similarly from an usability perspective, I'm convinced that mandatory
>> constraints are necessary.
>> One of us must be wrong.
>
> I'm willing to entertain the possibility that I am wrong.  Let me try
> to summarize:
>
> My concern, specifically, is that application developers will be able
> to create applications that "work on my machine", but fail for their
> users by using mandatory constraints that result in failure for some
> users.

This ("unintentional lock out effect") concern was earlier brought up by
Rich Tibbet and discussed a bit on August 27th - it is all in the
archive. I don't think the discussion at that time really concluded in
anything else than that if a developer uses mandatory constraints the
lock out effect is a risk that developer takes.

Adam's recent proposal
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2012Dec/0059.html)
has the merit that it informs the user that the camera(s) are detected
by the UA (even though the app does not approve them). This might save
some time for the user trying to understand why the service can not be
used (and perhaps save a trip to the dealer for returning the camera).
The drawback would be for application developers who'd like to avoid
involving/informing the user at all if there is no device fulfilling the
mandatory constraints.