Re: MediaStreams and src attributes

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:

> > I prefer this. We'd have to define what happens when both "stream" and
> "src"
> > are set, but I guess that's not a big deal.
> >
> > I wouldn't call it "stream" though since media elements should be able to
> > both consume and produce streams, so "stream" is ambiguous. I suggest
> > "srcStream".
>
> We can worry about the naming issues once we've settled on a design.

OK, although if we can't come up with a good name for something that
usually indicates a problem with the design.

> Though, what if we want to support direct assignment of Blobs
> > too? Would we add "srcBlob", or should we go to "srcObject"? Would having
> > both "src" and "srcObject" confuse developers?
>
> This thought process leads to you wanting to build the most general
> thing, which is to be able to represent these resources using URLs.
> That gives you the full matrix of producers and consumers.

And lifetime problems. It may be valuable to have a dedicated API that
covers exactly the resources we have JS object representations for; I think
that's as general as we can get without introducing the lifetime problems.

If you want to stop short of the whole matrix, an sourceStream
> property would seem to make sense, presuming you can create a
> MediaStream object from a Blob.

We can't do it that way. For example you should be able to set the source
of a media element to a Blob and then seek within it, but you can't seek
within a MediaStream.

> It looks like HTMLMediaElement
> already has a "stream" property, which should perhaps be renamed to
> outputStream.

Yes, although that's not implemented in Gecko and we probably don't want it
after all anyway.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]