Fwd: Metadata access

Dear all,

yesterday i tried to send my answers also to the HTML5 mailing list. Unfortunately i am not allowed to post messages there. Could somebody please forward my reply also to that mailing list?

Thank you in advance!

Best,
Florian

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> [...]
>
> Currently, we only have MediaAnnotation as a super type of all properties defined in the Ontology of Media Resource [2] holding attributes valid for each property. Taken this into account, we could split up into two layers of conformance at this point:
>
> - MediaAnnotation (attribute supportedMode)
> - - SimpleMediaAnnotation implements MediaAnnotation (attribute propertyName; attribute value;)
> - - DetailedMediaAnnotation implements MediaAnnotation (attribute propertyName; attribute value; attribute language; ...)
> - - - <PropertySpecificSubInterfaces_1> implements DetailedMediaAnnotation
> - - - <PropertySpecificSubInterfaces_n> implements DetailedMediaAnnotation
>
> Here, Silvias proposal for only having key-value pairs would be implemented in "SimpleMediaAnnotation", whereas "DetailedMediaAnnotation" would implement the specific attributes as we have defined them yet. This would also follow the (a)sync design approach. There could be also a translation between these two forms of representing properties since "SimpleMediaAnnotation" is somehow a subset of "DetailedMediaAnnotation". I think DetailedMediaAnnotation could be also modeled to implement SimpleMediaAnn. Following this proposal, someone can implement the simple key-value API as a "thin layer".
>
> Please let me ask you another question, which could be a interesting things for us to know: Do you have a preference for one of the two modes of operations (synchronous or a synchronous) of the API? At the moment we assume to have the asynchronous mode as default.
>
> Feedback on this more than welcome!
>
> Best regards,
> Florian
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/2008/video/mediaann/mediaont-api-1.0/mediaont-api-1.0.html
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/2008/video/mediaann/mediaont-1.0/mediaont-1.0.html
> _____________________________
> Dipl. Inf. Florian Stegmaier
> Chair of Distributed Information Systems
> University of Passau
> Innstr. 43
> 94032 Passau
>
> Room 248 ITZ
>
> Tel.: +49 851 509 3063
> Fax: +49 851 509 3062
>
> stegmai@dimis.fim.uni-passau.de
> https://www.dimis.fim.uni-passau.de/iris/
> http://twitter.com/fstegmai
> _____________________________
>
> Am 27.04.2011 um 00:50 schrieb David Singer:

>>> Indeed. And my continuous feedback was that IMHO a name-value-pair
>>> interface would be the most complexity that would be required. I don't
>>> like the complexity of the return structures - never have.
>>
>> would it hurt to define both APIs?  After all, the simple one is trivially (if not optimally) implemented on top of the 'complex' one...
>>
>> David Singer
>> Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.
>
> _____________________________
> Dipl. Inf. Florian Stegmaier
> Chair of Distributed Information Systems

Dipl. Inf. Florian Stegmaier
University of Passau
Innstr. 43
94032 Passau