Re: New proposal (Re: getting rid of xsd:dateTime ?)

On 04/06/2011 10:06 AM, Evain, Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Pierre Antoine,
>

> I understand your last proposal but this will need to be very well
> documented

of course; see my answer to Felix

> otherwise:
>
> - What will be found in instances may prove hazardous.

I may be biased, but I think most people crowling ma: data will query
them without relying on inference engines... If they do, they may use
Pellet or another engine that have no problem with those datatypes.
Finally, even a rule-based OWL-RL compliant inference engine can go
beyond the requirements and support additional datatypes.

So my guess is that "permissive" data will break only in very limited
cases...

> - It definitely makes the adoption of the ontology more
> difficult as the issues and implications of the options may be hard to grasp

I propose to add the following comment introducing the ontology:

  The ma: RDF ontology is compliant with the RL profile of OWL2 [ref].
  However, for data to be compliant with that profile, it should
  restrict the set of datatypes used for 'ma:date' and its subproperties
  to 'xsd:dateTime' a,d 'xsd:dtaeTimeStamp'.

It says 'compliant' so it should appeal to the concerned people. It
gives a simple recipe, so it should be easy enough to apply even if you
don't grasp all the implications.

> My take on your summary of the problem is that if people want to take
> maximum benefit from compliance they’ll have to use the dateTime format
> anyway.

yes; but again, my gut feeling is that the benefit will be marginal in
practice.

> It seems a bit tricky /misleading to offer the option of not
> being fully compliant (and again I agree that dateTime is not particular
> nice).

we are talking about being compliant *with OWL2-RL*, which is an
interesting feature, but not a requirement of all the linked data
community, nor from our charter. So I think it is ok.

  pa