Re: EBUCore and Eurovision NewsML-G2 in RDF

comments inline

On 04/05/2011 09:24 AM, Evain, Jean-Pierre wrote:
> Hello Pierre-Antoine,
>
> I followed the link...
>
> There is a lot to read beyond the initial page but if I focus on this
> page only, and on your comment, I guess we can say it is about
> materialising inferences.  I agree that it is actually easier to get
> the inferences being published and in my scenario the user is
> actually more an aggregator whose role is to collect data and publish
> it with all the inferences allowing to do what MAWG was aiming at,
> i.e. cross domain queries.
>
> If I take the example of ma-ont and EBUCore:
>
> I have the object property 'features' in ma-ont equivalent to the
> object property 'features' in ebucore.
>
> However, the range in m-aont is 'person' while the range in ebucore
> is 'contact' knowing that the class 'person' is declared equivalent
> to 'contact' too.
>
> If the aggregator has collected datasets in the ma-ont and ebucore
> formats and reindexed the data with the mapping schema,

by "reindex", I assume you mean "assert all inferred"/"materialize the
inference"

> I am hoping
> that a SPARQL query in the form 'x features y' will e.g. for the same
> 'x' provide a list of 'y' made of persons and contacts (possibly
> overlapping, and / or complementary).

if the triples are there, any SPARQL engine should indeed retrieve them.

> Discussion: However, if an aggregator collects data including
> inferences and e.g. based on the same RDF schema, these data sets
> will be coherent but it may also be true that some properties have
> been instantiated in a set that would allow to develop richer
> inferences when combined with another data set.  This is maybe when
> option 2 of my scenario has some sense?

Ah, I see.

For me this is orthogonal to options 1 and 2 (as I understood them).
RDF/RDFS/OWL do not make a distinction between vocabularies and
instances... This is all a bunch of triples.

So if you import in your triple store the following RDF graphs

* a vocabulary V1
* a dataset D1 using V1
* a vocabulary V2
* a dataset D2 using V2
* a dataset D3 using V2
* a mapping M1 btw V1 and V2

you can either

* publish the whole set of triple and let users make inferences on them
(your original contribution being the mapping M1)

* run inferences on the triple store, and augment it with all the
materialized inferences so that users only have to query your triple store

Inferences can either be allowed by the mapping M1 (adding links between
terms from V1 and V2) or by the conjunction of the different datasets...
Again, from an RDF point of view, this is just inferences.

(of course, it depends on the inference engine you are using... but if
you stick e.g. to something like OWL-RL, you can run a rule engine until
saturation)

  pa