Using the Ontology for Media Resources in the Semantic Web

From: RaphaŽl Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 17:17:20 +0200
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: Media Annotation <public-media-annotation@w3.org>, Thierry Michel <tmichel@w3.org>, w3c-semweb-cg@w3.org
Dear Ivan, SW coordination group,

The W3C Media Annotations WG has discussed your review [1] and in
particular how to use the Ontology for Media Resources in the Semantic
Web. Please, note that you will receive from Thierry a detailed answer
to all your questions in a separate email. Please, note also that an
RDF/OWL version of the ontology will be included in an Appendix in the
next publication of this document.

I'm contacting you, now, to get your input and feedback on one of our
issue: how to associate a complex annotation (typically represented as
an RDF graph) to a media resource?

To be a bit more precise, the Ontology for media resources allows:

   1/ Free text annotation using the ma:description property, e.g.:

@prefix ma: <http://www.w3.org/ns/ma-ont>.
<http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/media/fragf2f.ogv#t=12,21>
   a ma:Video;
   ma:description "Raphael is explaining what is a media fragment URI
and it should be processed".

   2/ (More) Complex semantic annotation using the ma:relation property,
e.g.:

@prefix ma: <http://www.w3.org/ns/ma-ont>.
<http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/media/fragf2f.ogv#t=12,21>
   a ma:Video;
   ma:relation [
     ma:relID <http://www.example.com/annotation-1.ttl>;
     ma:relNature "Semantic Annotation";
   ]
   ma:description "The audience is applauding".

<http://www.example.com/annotation-1.ttl> being a Named Graph that would
contain the statement:
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Audience> ex:humanActivity
<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Applause>

Here, we point to a named graph that would contain a potentially complex
graph annotation. The Media Annotations WG would like to explore the
possibility to have *embedded* semantic annotation directly into the
media description and ask suggestions of how to do this?
Could you provide us any input?

Tracker, this is ACTION-271 [2]
Best regards.

   RaphaŽl ... on behalf of the Media Annotations WG

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2010Jul/0017.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Annotations/track/actions/271

--