Re: Definition for ma:compressions and ma:format

I agree, it's not heavily used now.  I think it's more likely to get used in hand-written spaces (e.g. in a web page) than in automatic spaces (e.g. in HTTP content headers) simply because I don't expect web servers to do the kind of inspection needed to make these parameters automatically.

I think making it part of the format makes sense.  In fact, I am planning an update to this to add a "profiles" parameter, as well, and make it clearer what files these apply to (anything in the MP4 family, and QuickTime).  Review is welcome, let me know if you'd like to see it before I send off the I-D.

Given that there would then be two parameters, having an extended mime type makes even more sense.

(The profiles parameter would list the file-format 'compatible brands', which basically declares what specs the file adheres to, so it's both more general and more wide-ranging than just codecs, as a spec. may restrict more than just the codecs used).

On Nov 29, 2010, at 11:25 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> The codecs parameter of the MIME types has not been used extensively
> other than by MPEG FAIK. Ogg recently added it to their MIME type
> definition. WebM doesn't need it because it has restricted its codecs
> to VP8 and Vorbis. However, it is relatively simple to add the codecs
> parameter to the end of existing MIME types even if they are not
> standardized.
>
> I would prefer using the codecs parameter on the MIME type in
> ma:format (why not call it ma:mimetype?). I also agree that
> ma:compression is obsolete then and should be removed.
>
> Incidentally, HTML5 also uses MIME types with codecs parameter for this purpose.
>
> Cheers,
> Silvia.
>
> 2010/11/30 Evain, Jean-Pierre <evain@ebu.ch>:
>> It's a long time since I went to see the list of registered MIME types. I wonder where this is going with e.g. several video or mp4 Mime types (generic and vendor specific).
>>
>> And I it looks like if it's just the beginning. Even some authors propose different types with the name under different vendors spaces ?!?!?!
>>
>> Any views?
>>
>> Jean-Pierre

David Singer