Re: [W3C Media Annotation WG] Request for Expert Review (API)

From: Felix Sasaki <felix.sasaki@fh-potsdam.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:03:40 +0200
To: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>, "Chris.Poppe@ugent.be" <Chris.Poppe@ugent.be>, "public-media-annotation@w3.org" <public-media-annotation@w3.org>
2010/4/19 Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>

> Silvia -
>
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>

> >> As for the language attribute, it will not always be the case that a
> >> metadata source will use a single language for all its properties. For
> >> example, an RDF file may contain :
> >>
> >> <video.ogg> dc:title
> >>  "Planet of the apes"@en,
> >>  "La plančte des singes"@fr .
> >>
> >> So you can't really escape the per-value language attribute, can you?
> >
> > Generally, you will not get a mixed language metadata file.

Take a look at
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp/pdfs/XMPSpecificationPart2.pdf , e.g. page
28: dc:title has the value type Lang Alt. And that is defined at p. 21/22 of
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/xmp/pdfs/XMPSpecificationPart1.pdf as an array
of language alternatives. So using this mechanism you can have mixed
language metadata for the same field.

> I don't
> > know where you take your example from. I am following general practice
> > in libraries and other institutes that create metadata and they will
> > keep metadata descriptions for the same media resource separate as
> > much as possible.

I don't agree. Actually I am currently supervising a thesis on how to get
metadata being separate into the media ressource - see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-annotation/2010Apr/0060.html
and this started (not as the only case) as a request from an archive to this
done.

Best,

Felix