Re: [W3C Media Annotation WG] Request for Expert Review (API)

Silvia -

On Apr 19, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

>> As for the language attribute, it will not always be the case that a
>> metadata source will use a single language for all its properties. For
>> example, an RDF file may contain :
>>
>> <video.ogg> dc:title
>>  "Planet of the apes"@en,
>>  "La plančte des singes"@fr .
>>
>> So you can't really escape the per-value language attribute, can you?
>
> Generally, you will not get a mixed language metadata file. I don't
> know where you take your example from. I am following general practice
> in libraries and other institutes that create metadata and they will
> keep metadata descriptions for the same media resource separate as
> much as possible. You can, of course, make up a metadata format that
> can have multiple mixed language annotations, but I am finding those
> rather unusable and am not sure we should be supporting it in the API.

  This is *definitely* not an artificial use case. As I have noted before, both QuickTime and MPEG-4 files support multiple metadata values with the same key.This feature is definitely used to include multiple localizations of metadata in movie files.

eric