Re: [W3C Media Annotation WG] Request for Expert Review (API)

Hi Silvia and all,

On 16/04/2010 01:52, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for the clarification of how the interface seems to have been designed.
>
> I can now see how you have designed the interface to associate
> multiple metadata resources with one media resource through the
> function:
>   boolean setContext(in DOMString mediaResource, in optional Object[]
> metadataSources );
>
> From what you are describing, the order in which the metadataSources
> are given in the second parameter will be important, since getProperty
> will return for every one of these resource the value of the requested
> propertyName.

I'm not sure this was implied here. I don't remember us discussing the
*order* of multiple return values, but indeed, relating it to the order
of metadataSources seems like a reasonable default choice...

> I must admit I am uncomfortable with an API that chunks all the
> possible metadata formats together in one return object. I would
> rather that the list of metadata resources is administrated at a
> higher level and not within the Media Annotations API.

with the proposed API, nothing prevents you from creating separate
MAResource for separate metadata sources, if you want to keep them
separate...
But you can also create one that aggregate them, if you do not care for
the provenance, e.g. if you equaly trust the different sources.

Furthermore, it seems to me that your examples below make the asumption
that we know in advance which subset of metadata is contained in each
metadata source, which may not always be the case.

As for the language attribute, it will not always be the case that a
metadata source will use a single language for all its properties. For
example, an RDF file may contain :

<video.ogg> dc:title
  "Planet of the apes"@en,
  "La planète des singes"@fr .

So you can't really escape the per-value language attribute, can you?

  pa