RE: [W3C Media Annotation WG] Request for Expert Review (API)

Dear Silvia, all,

To clarify some aspects I want to present following thoughts about the api,
more specifically on the getProperty method:

MAObject[] getProperty(in DOMString propertyName, in optional DOMString
sourceFormat, in optional DOMString subtype,
								   in
optional DOMString language, in optional DOMString fragment );

Imagine our MediaResource is a movie (Planet of the Apes).

Some annotations are available for this movie. With "annotation" I mean a
metadata instance. With "some annotations" I mean that metadata can be
available in:
	* different formats (DC, MPEG-7, ...), either describing different
properties (DC_creator.rdf, MPEG-7_technical.xml) or the same properties
(DC_creator.rdf, MPEG-7_creator.xml)
	* multiple instances of the same format (MPEG-7_technical.xml,
MPEG-7_creator.xml) describing different properties (first file describes
technical 		metadata, second file describes author)
	* multiple instances of the same format (MPEG-7_techical1.xml,
MPEG-7_technical2.xml) describing the same properties (e.g., two
independently 			created MPEG-7 files, both having values for
resolution, titles, descriptions, creators and so on)

So I can imagine that our movie has 3 DC annotations (for example one made
by a Hungarian, one by a French guy and one English). In fact, all of these
could have a title in there and a description.

getProperty("title") would return an array with 3 titles (or more correct, 3
MAObjects implementing the title interface) each in a different language,
- title[0] (value:"A Majmok bolygója",    language:"hu",
sourceFormat:"DC")
- title[1](value:"La planete des singes", language:"fr",
sourceFormat:"DC")
- title[2](value:"Planet of the apes",    language:"en-us",
sourceFormat:"DC")

getProperty("title", "", "en-us") would return an array with only one
element, being the English title.
- title[0](value:"Planet of the apes", language:"en-us", sourceFormat:"DC")

Moreover, in my point of view the annotation could be from different
metadata formats (e.g., Hungarian used DC, French and English guys used
MPEG-7). So note that I assume here that there can exist different metadata
instances from equal or different metadata formats, created by different
authors, and in different languages.
This means that for different properties there could be multiple instances.
This is why we allow to filter in the getProperty operation on the
sourceFormat.

getProperty("title") would again return an array with 3 titles (or more
correct, 3 MAObjects implementing the title interface):
- title[0](value:"A Majmok bolygója",     language:"hu",
sourceFormat:"DC")
- title[1](value:"La planete des singes", language:"fr",
sourceFormat:"MPEG-7")
- title[2](value:"Planet of the apes",    language:"en-us",
sourceFormat:"MPEG-7")

getProperty("title", "", "MPEG-7") would only return the titles which can be
retrieved from the MPEG-7 annotation of this content.
- title[0](value:"La planete des singes", language:"fr",
sourceFormat:"MPEG-7")
- title[1](value:"Planet of the apes",    language:"en-us",
sourceFormat:"MPEG-7")

This would allow for instance to get the creation date only if it is
originally mapped from an EXIF annotation (since this can be assumed to be
more correct), or the creator only if it comes from MPEG-7 (since here we
can assume that more information on the creator is available) and so on.

The same occurs for the subtype, e.g, if alternative titles are available
for instance "Monkey Planet" (just making this up).

getProperty("title) would return an array with 2 titles (or more correct, 2
MAObjects implementing the title interface) (let's disregard the other
arguments and languages):
- title[0] (value:"Planet of the apes", type:"Main title")
- title[1] (value:"Monkey Planet",      type:"Alternative title")

getProperty("title", "", "", "Alternative title") would yield an array of
one element.
- title[0] (value:"Monkey Planet", type:"Alternative title")

This is at least how I understood the current API.
Additionally, some remarks can be found inline ([CP2]) below.

Kind regards,
Chris