RE: Regrets for tomorrow`s Telecon (19.05.09)

Dear Chris, all,

> [Definition: Mapping]
> Mapping is the description of relations between (a) sets of
> information from
> existing formats for media entities on the web, and (b)
> properties. Mappings
> are defined in sec. 4.2 Property mapping table.
>
> Since the definition of properties is exactly part (a) that
> is used in the
> definition above, I would suggest the definition of a Mapping
> to be the
> description of relations between properties (of different formats).

+1

> Finally, would it be an alternative to state that the Media
> Entity is the
> abstract concept (representing an object or set of fragments) and the
> Resource be the actual instance of that entity? (In fact this is the
> definition of a Resource within MPEG-21)

I agree that this argument makes sense. However, as pointed out, the fragments group uses the term "resource", and if we e.g. use a URN with a fragment identifier (e.g. to reference a named fragment in a movie without referring to a specific version) it is not a resource in the sense of this definition.

Best regards,
Werner