Re: Properties for media fragment?

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:07 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
> At 7:14  +0200 2/05/09, Felix Sasaki wrote:
>>
>> List of my favorite scences of a video, as part of the video metadata?
>> Does that not make sense?
>
> Oh wow, this is a new category of metadata.  So far I have been seeing
>
> * 'intrinsic' properties of the media itself (duration, whether it has
> video, audio etc.)
> * published annotations for the media (copyright, title, etc.)
>
> both of these are 'source supplied'.
>
> 'My favorite scenes' is user-supplied.  Hm.

I thought so at first, too. But then I thought about it a little more.

The person who publishes the video can apply a list of "favourite
scenes" as a description straight for the video. A bit like an RSS
feed. Then it's "source supplied" still, because the publisher
associates it. It's more like a "director's favourite scenes"
actually.

It would also be possible for somebody else on a different Web server
to publish their favourite scenes for a video hosted by somebody else.
Then it's user supplied, but scalable.

All types of annotations actually follow this "rule": they can all be
regarded both as source-supplied and user-supplied. So, yes, they
really are a third type of metadata in your list.

Not sure what consequences that has on the media annotations group
work, but worth a thought...

Cheers,
Silvia.