Re: Publishing the Mapping Table (was minutes of 2009-03-10 teleconference)

Hello Thierry,

2009/3/11 Thierry Michel <tmichel@w3.org>

> Felix,
>
> I have checked today with Ian from the W3C comm team, and I was told we can
> proceed with a publication of our mapping table as is on TR page. Having
> such a large table would not raise a publication issue.
>
> It will only need to be included into a draft with proper headings.
> Therefore the document you have proposed would definitively satisfy the
> publication rules.
> http://dev.w3.org/2008/video/mediaann/mediaont-1.0/mediaont-1.0.html
>
> Two issues remain;
>
> The first one was raised by Raphael yesterday during the call. The Group
> currently has not agreed to this table, and this is why people were asking
> to review/discuss it and agree to it during the next F2F in april, before
> its publication. Maybe Raphael and other should voice here.

I understand that we can't publish without agreement from the Working Group.
I hope that we can have a discussion here or next week on the call. I will
also work with Raphael offline and try to reach a consensus.

> The second issue is regarding our Charter:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/01/media-annotations-wg.html
>
> Which mentions the following deliverables
>
>    * A W3C Working Group Note for use cases and requirements for the Media
> Ontology
>    * A W3C Recommendation describing a simple ontology for representating a
> set of concepts often associated with media objects.
>    * A W3C Recommendation for an application programming interface (API) to
> access metadata information.
>    * A W3C Working Group Note for mapping the ontology to existing
> standards and solutions.
>
> Isn't that mapping table closer the the last deliverable, W3C Working Group
> Note?

The charter also says

" This ontology would help circumventing the current profileration of video
metadata formats by providing full or partial translation and mapping
between the existing formats."

this reads to me like that the ontology will provide the mapping, and not
the working group note. Also, the discussions during the last weeks about
formalizing the mapping within the table sound like that people regard the
table as a first step (or a main input) to the ontology.

Felix