Re: What is needed to move forward

Felix,

disclaimer: I was not at the F2F meeting (shame on me), so I may have a
wrong interpretation of the requirement for "slices of conformance",
which has been discussed there.

It seems to me that we are discussing on the ground of a
misunderstanding, that might be crystalized in the stating of req-r11
[1]. There are two sides in using RDF (or any other ontology language,
for that matter): formalization and serialization, or "what is
expressed" vs. "how it is expressed".

It seems to me (I may be wrong), that you are focusing on the
serialization issue: in your mails and in [1], you are often putting
"RDF" and "serialization" together, and opposing it to "prose", which
relates to how things are expressed. From that point of view, I think I
agree with you: we do not want to force all implementations to be able to
parse or serialize (any syntax of) RDF. The first levels of conformance
should be serialization-agnostic.

When arguing in favor of RDF, I am focusing on formalization. I admit
I'm making here a shortcut that may not be trivial, and foster
misunderstanding: RDF in itself has a very basic semantics and does not
provide much tools for formalization. However, RDF opens the door to more
tools: RDFS, SKOS, OWL... Those tools are great, I think, to provide an
(almost) unambiguous definition of the concepts and properties of our
ontology. The fact that they can be expressed in RDF is not important
here (since we are primarily addressing implementors, not machines). So
I like:
  "publicationDate is a sub-property (as in RDFS) of generalDate"
just as much as:
  mawg:publicationDate rdfs:subPropertyOf mawg:generalDate .

But I do think that, without such a formal framework for defining our
ontology,
we will fail to "help developers with the lack of syntactic and semantic
interoperability" (from the charter).

  pa

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-media-annot-reqs-20090119/#req-r11