RE: Media Annotation Use Cases

From: Broome, Karen <Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:43:53 -0700
To: "soohong.park@samsung.com" <soohong.park@samsung.com>, "public-media-annotation@w3.org" <public-media-annotation@w3.org>
Comments on your use cases....

1. Video recommendation: I think the categories and logic to serve up video recommendations would vary across locales -- this is not merely translating English terms. Some terms will only be specific to a particular region (examples: "telenovella" in Latin America; distinction between forms of anime in Japan -- knowing whether something is "shonen" [male] or "shoujo" [female] anime may not matter to Western anime fans). Will this work attempt to account for this? Also, recommendation logic and architecture may vary depending on the audience of the party providing the content. Is this something that should be standardized or are these marketing decisions? Not sure.

2. Why not use the IPTV metadata specification for IPTV video?

Regards,

Karen Broome
Sony Pictures Entertainment