Re: my token about the "3 or more layer" structure for the ontology

Felix,

although I participated in putting the debate in terms of "XML vs. RDF",
my concern was not about a precise syntax or foramt, and I agree with
you that it should not be.

However in my view the question is more fundamental. Let me reword it.

Designing an ontology involves, IMHO, a trade-off between faithfully
representing the domain of interest, and projecting it in a practical
data structure.

Failthful in our context means:
- able to cover a large part of legacy metadata
- able to satisfy most of the requirements of our use cases

Practical in our context, means that the ontology should be:
- easy to use by media publisher
- easy to implement in browsers

A very easy to use and implement data structure is a list of
(attribute,value) pairs -- the so-called "flat" structure.

By the way, even easier is a list of simple tags -- which can be tweaked
into (attribute,value) pairs anyway, as pointed out by your previous
mail about flickr.

However, I think that this is too much of a simplification:
- it does not satisfy come requirements (like the multi-level or
collection) -- though we might decide that those ones are too complex
- my intuition is that more structure would make "impedence mismatch"
between legacy vocabularies easier to point out and solve

  pa