Re: Media annotations Working Group telephone conference 2008-11-18

Hi Ruben, all,

I found that document very interesting.

I have a further concern that you may want to consider when looking at
hierarchical description schemes or flat ones.

I believe the decision depends on what viewpoint you have towards annotations.

Both for XMP and DC, the descriptions were written in flat structures
because they have to be able to be embedded into a data stream and
easily extractable. Name-value fields are much easier to handle than
hierarchical structures and are thus easier to expose as an interface
towards something or somebody else. They essentially say "I am this
resource and this is what I know about myself".

The other specifications seem to be built as description schemes for
collections of media resources. Since such descriptions necessarily
stay out of th resources themselves, and since they tend to live in
databases, hierarchical relationships are fairly common and a good way
to avoid data duplication.

So, the main question that I take out of this is: do we want to create
an ontology that can be multiplexed into a video stream (e.g. as a
header file in ID3 and vorbiscomment fashion, or as time-aligned text
in the data section like TimedText or subtitles)? or do we want to
create an ontology that can describe video stream collections?

I am mostly interested in the earlier one, but I am not sure where the
group is heading.

Regards,
Silvia.