Re: glossary

Hi all,
I won't be able to make it or I will arrive late.

On 10 Oct 2013, at 15:09, Fabio Paternò wrote:

> I had a couple of actions regarding the glossary.
>
> For multimodal definition I found these two:
>
> Oviatt definition (the human computer interaction handbook): Multimodal systems process two or more combined user input modes – such as speech, pen, touch, gestures, gaze, …- in a coordinated manner with multimedia system output
Oviatt's def. implies the necessary combination of several input modes = complementarity or redundancy of modalities  (plus we need to define what is an input mode!). It does not cover the non-combination of modalities, and it does not cover output modalities.

> Bersen definition (multimodal usability book): a modality is a way of representing information in some medium
Whereas Oviatt is input only, Bersen's def covers output only !

> Regarding multi-device, distributed and migratory user interface I would propose these definitions:
>

> Multi-device user interfaces are the user interfaces of applications that can be accessed through multiple devices (comment: this is a general category, which includes various subcases, such as distributed UIs, migratory UIs, and still others)
OK.

> Distributed user interfaces are user interfaces that allow access to an application through multiple devices at a given time.
OK

> Migratory user interfaces are user interfaces that can change device while  preserving their state across the devices involved.
OK

> Comment: there are user interfaces that are both distributed and migratory, others that belong to only one of these two categories, and others that are not part of any of them. There are also multi-device user interfaces that are neither distributed nor migratory (e.g. responsive design).
OK

> Tomorrow I’ll join the audioconference 10 minutes later since I’m teaching the hour before
>

> Best
>

> Fabio

Joelle COUTAZ, Professeur émérite
Lab. LIG (laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble)
41 rue des Mathématiques, 38400 St-Martin d'Hères, France, http://iihm.imag.fr/coutaz, tel. 33 4 76 51 48 54