From: arno.gourdol@gmail.com <arno.gourdol@gmail.com> on behalf of Arno Gourdol <arno@arno.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 10:00 PM
To: Peter Krautzberger
Cc: mathonweb
Subject: Re: [math-on-web] CG meeting minutes, 2018/03/01

A small addition: the latest release of MathLive also outputs MathML. Visit mathlive.io<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mathlive..io&d=DwMFaQ&c=OAG1LQNACBDguGvBeNj18Swhr9TMTjS-x4O_KuapPgY&r=67olWPWhVEsI50vpRdydglG2RHA1T81UHrTuRDeUqW4&m=XHBPCi0QcTv-fRx4g7Y4wW1AZzQ-TD1b-gjtkmXOYuM&s=1aNC5QTd5A--ZeJDBk3uAGp0FFdHQxHWeIGaOD5jdls&e=> to try it out interactively: the MathML is generated on the fly and both the markup and the browser's interpretation of it are displayed as you type.

The MathML is generated from the internal representation of the formula I keep in memory, but there's also a utility function to convert LaTeX to MathML.

This is still a work in progress and I welcome input on the MathML I generate.

I would also be interested in a repository of what would be considered "good" MathML. What I mean is there are many ways of representing a formula in MathML. What is considered good practice? Is there anything like that somewhere?

For example, how to represent function application "f(x)"? When to use <mfence> vs. <mo>(<\mo>? When to use attributes such as "separator"? How do you represent the choice operator (\choose in LaTeX)?

I also plan to work on generating a representation of the formula as an Abstract Syntax Tree which would be suitable for symbolic computation and other automated processing. The AST would be represented as a JSON object for ease of manipulation and cross-software exchange. If anybody is interested in collaborating on this or has some ideas to share, I'd love to hear it. And I suppose this work can be considered part of the workstream we had discussed earlier about formats for software interchange...

Best,
Arno.

 * Arno: on Mathlive improvements
   * accessibility is in