Re: [MathOnWeb] Peter K's comments on directions for 2018

Hi Ivan,

I feel like we're talking about different things and I don't think know how
to overcome this miscommunication. One last try though.

> Well, that is where we may disagree. You say 'might be nice', and I say
it is a necessity.

I agree that we disagree. But I have more reasons that will be
side-tracking even further.

> Let me turn the question around: what is your view (because I do not
really understand) on how authors should author their mathematical
formulae? What should a publisher use in their workflow, what should an
educational publisher use? Do you mean that each of them should use a
different tool and there is no need for anything standard?

This sounds as if people didn't have anything to work with. Everyone has a
solution that works for them. Some better, some worse.

At the same time it's also not like there's a mess of hundreds of ways of
doing this. There are a handful of formats used for storing equation layout
information (with TeX, MathML, Word probably representing an exremelty vast
majority) combinend with a handful of ways of rendering such content on the
web.

Most publishers are still only capturing print-style equation layout; TeX
and MathML are prefectly fine for that.
Those who do things beyond print usually have more complex, web-centric
scenarios; the equation layout becomes fragmented in a more complex web
application structure, e.g., interactive teaching or assessment tools. If
those groups feel the need for standardization, they should speak up.

> And I am not sure that is a good thing. That is exactly my point.

I agree but it's what MathML wanted to do and I think it's what endears it
to the XML community.

>  I could say: "Literary content/knowledge is not determined by layout
even if the textual layout does express it." Nevertheless, there was/is a
need to produce a very precise definition on how HTML elements are laid out
by the browser engines: publishers, for example, rely on this.
> I do not think there is such a big difference in this respect between
math and, say, HTML.

This completely confuses me.

>  I am not sure I agree. A mathematical layout is, in this context, part
of a larger layout which is the page in a book (offline or online). If the
result of the equation's layout is unpredictable, because the underlying
layout engines follow very different strategies, we may have a problem.
Unless the specification on how the layout should/must happen is more
strictly determined.

I was talking about different but equally robust ways of doing design on
the web. So I think we're agreeing?

Let's continue in live conversation some time.
Best,
Peter.