Re: [MathOnWeb] Accessibile Math

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not been able to attend the chats so far.  I'll try to make
the next one.

My contact info:
     benoit@math.colostate.edu
     970-491-0549

I am building an online testing and instruction platform (actually
rebuilding an existing Java-based platform to use HTML5 only).  I've
done a Java-based rendering and layout engine for math (including math
laid out inside of graphs and drawings), and I'm struggling somewhat on
how to do this well in an HTML-only setting.  I may come down to
rendering on the server with my current engine, and sending content out
as images with alt-text, but that seems a real shame.

My general opinion on the matter is that (presentation) MathML does a
decent job of capturing the semantics of math content, which is what
HTML is designed to do - leaving the formatting to CSS.  It seems like
if CSS can't handle MathML, then CSS is fundamentally broken, and work
needs to focus there.  Rendering with stretchy operators and auto-sizing
fences is not outrageous - the visual formatting model should be able to
handle it.  It already renders tables from the inside out, so I'm not
quite getting why math is so challenging.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the problem and getting ideas
that can help guide my project in the right direction.

Best regards,
Steve Benoit

Special Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics