From: Peter Krautzberger [mailto:peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org]
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 9:12 AM
To: Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken <tsiegman@wiley.com>
Cc: public-mathonwebpages@w3.org
Subject: machine readability (conversation starters)

Hi Tzviya,

For the present at least, I would disagree. I do dream that eventually (maybe 10 years from now?) we'll have a thorough a11y API mapping for mathematics. At the moment, I don't think mathematics (as a culture / language) is ready for this (though web technology probably would be).

Regarding general machine readability vs accessibility, one important difference I see is that machine readability can benefit from partial results whereas accessibility cannot.

A typical example for this might be units. If we can find a way to make units machine readable, I think we'd have a major improvement for STEM on the web. But it won't help accessibility (much) to know that there are units in an expression if it is otherwise unintelligible.

Of course, we currently don't have any standard or best practice for exposing units on the web. The MathWG had a very old note on units  (from 2003) which suggested class='MathML-Unit' on MathML elements; I don't think that's viable approach today. Perhaps schema is a better starting point considering how successful search engines can leverage units in recipes (I could imagine lab protocols and engineering might benefit from similar methods).

For some tools it's extremely easy to generate markup for units, e.g., Jos de Jong's MathJS has a rich interface for handling units and could probably easily expose them in a visual output. TeX has a rich history with the physics and siunitx packages (which are, for example, partially available in MathJax as third party extensions) and heuristics seem feasible to enrich formats in general (again, MathJax can do some of that via the speechruleengine).

I think for humans we have to change our expectations. Otherwise, we'll just end up repeating the mistakes of the past. I'll post some thoughts on the accessibility thread later.

Best regards,
Peter.